The headline findings include:
- Three in ten respondents (29%) ranked water pollution of rivers and seas among the top three things having a negative impact on the environment.
- There is a difference between what people think it is safe to do in a river and what they think it should be safe to do:
- six in ten respondents (60%) in England think it should be safe to go swimming in a river in England – but only 16% think it is currently;
- 65% of respondents in Wales think it should be safe to swim in a river in Wales, with 24% believing it is currently safe to do so.
- Three-quarters of respondents (75%) are aware that sewage is sometimes released into rivers and seas – but very few report a good understanding of storm overflows.
- Many respondents report concern about the release of sewage into rivers and seas, with the most common emotions relating to this being anger and upset.
Read more and download the report here