Sign up to our newsletter
    • Home
    • Jobs
    • News
    • Events
    • Advertise with us
    • What we do
    • News
    • Blyth beach bathing resumes in part after suspected oil spill
     
    August 18, 2026

    Blyth beach bathing resumes in part after suspected oil spill

    MarineNews

    Photo by Gabe Fender

     

    Bathing has resumed on part of Blyth South Beach in Northumberland after a week-long precautionary advisory following reports of a possible fuel or oil spill, though the investigation into the source of the pollution continues.

    A strong-smelling substance found on the sand

    The Environment Agency logged a pollution incident on its water quality website at around 5.10pm on 11 August, after reports of a possible fuel or oil spill near the Port of Blyth. Northumberland County Council said it had been alerted to a “strong-smelling substance” that was “forming a sheen in pools of water and on the sand.” Visitors were advised not to bathe in the area, and dog owners were urged to keep pets away from the affected stretch while the Agency collected water samples for analysis.

    An Environment Agency spokesperson said at the time: “We are continuing to investigate this incident and have taken samples for analysis. As a precaution, we are urging people, particularly dog owners, to avoid the affected area until we know more about the substance and any potential risks. Advice against bathing in waters at this location is also in place while our investigations continue. We are working closely with Northumberland County Council and other partners and will continue to provide updates as our investigation progresses.”

    Advice partially lifted

    Following further sampling, Northumberland County Council confirmed on 14 August that bathing could resume on the section of the beach south of the Dave Stephens Centre. A council spokesperson said: “Following sampling and a review of the available information, the bathing water advice at Blyth Beach has been updated. Bathing can now resume South of the Dave Stephens Centre. The Environment Agency, Northumberland County Council and Port of Blyth continue to work together to investigate the situation, with further samples being analysed as a priority. The precautionary advice remains in place for the affected area, and visitors are asked to follow the signage and advice in place.”

    The council acknowledged the disruption caused by the restrictions, adding: “We know the restrictions have been particularly challenging for local residents, visitors and businesses, and we’re pleased that bathing can now resume in part of the beach. We’ll provide a further update when more information is available.” The precautionary advice remains in force for the section of beach still affected, and the Environment Agency, council and Port of Blyth are continuing to analyse samples to establish the source and composition of the substance.

    Separate from last month’s nurdle spill

    The Environment Agency has said it believes this incident is unconnected to the plastic pellets, or nurdles, that washed up on nearby beaches last month following a collision at the Port of Tyne.

    Tagged: bathing water advice, Blyth South Beach, Dave Stephens Centre, Environment Agency, Northumberland County Council, oil spill, pollution incident, Port of Blyth, Port of Tyne nurdles, Water quality

    Ocean and Coastal Futures Ltd
    50 Belmont Road
    St Andrews
    Bristol
    BS6 5AT
    Company number: 13910899

    • LinkedIn
    • X

    Telephone: 07759 134801

    Email: CMS@coastms.co.uk

    Subscribe to our newsletter

    Sign up now

    All content copyright © Ocean and Coastal Futures

    Data protection and privacy policy

    Data Protection and Privacy Policy
    Ocean and Coastal Futures, formerly known as Communications and Management for Sustainability

     


    Data Protection and Privacy Policy
    Ocean and Coastal Futures, formerly known as Communications and Management for Sustainability