Marine Ecology Specialist
Location: Devon or Glasgow
GoBe Consultants Ltd is an innovative and dynamic environmental and planning consultancy. Due to continued expansion in our project portfolio, GoBe is now undertaking further growth of our business through the recruitment of experienced, highly motivated Marine Ecology Specialists.
GoBe specialise in providing high quality, environmental and planning advice to blue chip companies with a particular focus on the offshore wind farm development sector, as well as coastal projects more widely. We also undertake research for government and government agencies, both in the UK and abroad. Our work includes the provision of high quality strategic and specialist consultancy across the full range of project phases (from site bid / feasibility, through consenting, and for NSIPs during examination and post consent compliance).
As a respected consultancy, GoBe are exceptionally well positioned in the industry, supporting ongoing offshore wind Round 3 and extension projects, as well as providing potential Round 4 and ScotWind opportunities in addition to projects in the Irish market. This is a very exciting time to join the business.
As part of our Marine Ecology team, the role will provide you with the opportunity to work in and help shape a rapidly developing and dynamic company involved in some of the largest and most exciting infrastructure development projects in the UK. We are looking for an exceptional candidate who can bring existing marine ecology experience that can be applied to our existing and future project portfolio, with a particular focus on the offshore wind sector.
We are specifically looking for a candidate who has a marine ecology (benthic habitats, intertidal ecology, fish ecology) background and is able to apply their expertise and understanding of the interaction of development (particularly offshore wind projects) with marine ecology and help expand our technical offering to our clients.
- Lead marine ecology related workstreams;
- Providing technical advice and strategic direction to our existing clients and projects;
- Contribute to and/or lead on stakeholder liaison; and
- Provide specialist input and advice on the interaction of project development on the receiving benthic and intertidal environment as part of the wider EIA and HRA work to ensure regulatory compliance.
Key skills and capabilities
- Educated to at least degree level, but preferably MSc level, in a relevant discipline (Marine Biology, Marine Sciences, etc.);
- Excellent written and oral communication, organisational and time management skills;
- A professional manner with strong inter-personal skills and an ability to communicate at all levels;
- Established track record on provision of marine ecological advice, derived from a relevant career in consultancy, research or working for government;
- Working knowledge of the technical assessments underpinning marine ecology work (e.g. survey specification & interpretation, sensitivity of ecological habitats, ecological consequences of changes to physical processes / generation of underwater noise etc.), ideally related to offshore wind farm development;
- Experience of working within the planning process, and ideally in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland; and
- Experience working with regulators and stakeholders.
Our offices are based in south Devon and central Glasgow (and remote working options considered for exceptional candidates), we offer industry competitive salaries commensurate with experience, with associated benefits. We value the wellbeing of our staff and this is reflected in our flexible working conditions and desirable office locations.