Closing Date: 06/11/2020
Junior Project Manager
12 month fixed term appointment
£ 24,150 per annum
Plymouth Marine Laboratory has an exciting opportunity for a suitable candidate to join the Project Management Team to deliver the effective and efficient project management of societally important marine, social and earth observation research.
The position will involve managing a portfolio of projects of interdisciplinary and pioneering research across the various science areas at PML. These projects are focused on the dynamic and complex marine environment that sustains life not only under the water but also across the entire planet.
You will be an enthusiastic, flexible and highly motivated person with excellent interpersonal and organisational skills, possessing appropriate managerial capabilities and experience. We are seeking to appoint a post-graduate with a good working knowledge of MS Office packages and relevant online data and information management systems. Ideally, you will also have an environmental science background and experience in research project management.
The Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML) is a dynamic, highly innovative, independent and impartial provider of research and advice relating to coasts and oceans, globally and locally. PML is an independent research business with charitable status and a NERC Collaborative Centre. Researchers at PML collaborate externally with universities and research institutes across the UK and internationally such that PML has been an integral part of the UK’s strategic marine science capability for over 30 years.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Project manage research projects that PML are the lead partner or co-partner of, including monitoring the implementation of the projects’ activities and the delivery of their results.
- Contribute to the project management team and provide support to the Senior Project Manager in general duties as requested to ensure the successful and consistent delivery of projects.
- Monitor project progress including schedule, budget and work plan to ensure that deadlines and reporting requirements are met.
- Ensure milestones are met by those responsible and deliverables are quality checked and delivered on time
- Act as the interface between the funder, project Steering Committees, project partner organisations, third parties and scientific management teams disseminating information as and when necessary.
- Actively communicate and liaise with project partners and stakeholders to build effective networks and communication channels.
- Write reports and record meeting minutes;
- Check and monitor budget expenditure both at project and partner organisations’ level, including supporting partners to submit suitable financial records.
- Organise external events and project meetings.
- Support Principal Investigators and maintain project documentation.
- Develop and maintain contact databases.
- Work closely with internal groups in PML including different Science Areas as well as Communications, Finance and Contracts teams.
- At least 3 years’ experience of project management, ideally in a research field or equivalent training / expertise;
- Educated to degree level, preferably in an environmental / science field
- Flexible in approach, specifically the ability to manage several concurrent projects, recognise and respond to shifting priorities, and handle different types of information (e.g. scientific, financial, and legal).
- Excellent organisational skills with the capacity to multitask, to deliver on allocated tasks and to meet deadlines in pressurised situations;
- A proactive approach, high level of initiative and a willingness to drive projects forwards by encouraging others but also to seek help from others when required.
- Experience organising conferences / events / large meetings
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Willingness to travel (considering COVID restrictions at the time)
- A qualification or formal training in project / programme management
- EU or international Project Management experience
- Experience of writing/co-writing project reports and analytical reports
- Experience of working with overseas partners
To Apply: Click here for more information and to apply for this vacancy
Closing date: 5pm on Friday 6th November 2020
Interviews: Monday 30th November 2020